If an organization has newly developed strategic objectives, or perhaps old objectives that have never been met, one of the best ways to determine the processes, capabilities, or resources to meet those strategic objectives is through the use of a Content Gap Analysis Template.
Frequently, a Content Audit is designed and conducted to help us understand what works in an organization, and what the areas of improvement could be (a common example of this is a SWOT analysis), but how does an organization determine what processes, capabilities, and/or resources they don’t know they don’t have? We’ve all heard the old adage, “We don’t know what we don’t know.” A Content Gap Analysis helps organizations avoid this. The last thing an organization wants is to neglect or leave out a customer or persona from their content strategy as this leaves space for competitors to build key relationships that could have been theirs. Through the use of a Content Gap Analysis Template organizations can avoid missing the mark and capitalize on ensuring they are building the necessary relationships they need to be successful through building the necessary processes and capabilities, while utilizing the proper resources to meet their strategic objectives.
- When utilizing a Content Gap Analysis Template, determine the following:
- Our stakeholders’ needs, goals, and how they interact.
- The organization’s strategic business objectives and goals, the requirements of the brand, and what the key performance indicators are.
- The most successful output and least successful areas as found through analytics (audits, market indicators, etc.).
- Frequently asked questions about the organization from internal and external sources.
- Industry and competitive market-space challenges.
- The outcome of a Content Audit (such as a SWOT analysis).
Organizations should use this template to organize their data and then crosscheck the information to help determine what processes, capabilities, and/or resources are needed to meet their strategic objectives, thereby meeting and exceeding the needs of customers and clients.
Here are a few samples to help you with your tasks…
Content Gap Analysis Worksheet