If you find cover letters intimidating or don’t know where to start, you aren’t alone. Even seasoned writers find writing about themselves difficult, and everyday job seekers often find writing business letters daunting. Avoid the temptation to skip the process completely, however. You can use a cover letter template to create a compelling cover letter that highlights your personality and introduces your skills. It may make the difference between you and another qualified candidate getting that interview.
Use a Cover Letter Template to Take the Guesswork Out of the Process
Thanks to email, you, like many job seekers, may not have written a formal business letter in years. A cover letter template guides you through the process of laying out your letter so you appear professional and prepared. A cover letter template also helps you figure out how to highlight what you do best and how to connect your skills to the job you want to land.
To prepare to fill in a cover letter template with your information, gather the following:
– The hiring manager’s (or recruiter’s) name and title, if available
– The physical address of the company to which you’re applying (check the company’s website for help)
– The complete title of the position you’d like to fill
– Any keywords from the job description that you can work into your letter to match the skills the company is seeking
– Bonus: Examples of your work or volunteer experience that ties to the role for which you’re applying
Once you gather all this information, you’re ready to complete your cover letter template. Follow the steps and fill in the text. A cover letter template can help you ease your anxiety and let you focus on your job hunt. Good luck!