Circumstances will often come, that demand that your employee verifies his/her employment status. Examples of these could be when applying for loans, taking up a mortgage, or enrolling in a particular scheme. ‘Verifying employment’ here means proving that a certain organization indeed employs the applicant at that time. For this to happen, you, as an employer, may have to draft and send out the employment verification letter to the requesting parties. Take a look at our explanations below to learn more about it and the finer workings of this letter.
Purpose of the Employment Verification Letter
This letter finds applicability in and subsequently serves many purposes. Below are but a few of them:
- Verify Current Employment: Its primary purpose is to verify the current employment of the person concerned. Verifying here means proving that the person under scrutiny is indeed employed by the firm he claims to be employed in. And is actively working in the capacity he claims to be working in.
- Display Income Earnings Information: Some verification may also seek to know the amount of money that the employee under scrutiny is earning and the benefits he takes home. Yet again, the letter rises to the occasion to supply that information to the person under scrutiny.
- Vouch for the Character of the Employee: In some instances, the applicant or requester may simply want to know the character and conduct of the employee under scrutiny. The line manager, in this sense, will always furnish the information required in a manner that is professional and courteous. This he does in line with the existing laws and regimes.
- Aid in Loan Applications: Before giving out the loans, the financiers will often demand to gauge the ability of the applicant to repay the debt. This is something that may partly be provided for by way of drafting this letter of employment verification. It is the pieces of information contained here that will give the financier a broader picture.
- Help with Litigation: Juries may also seek to know more about the employment status of the accused to be able to arrive at the best possible decisions. To do that, they have to request for a letter of this kind from the firm for which the accused person purports to work.
What to Include (How to Write)?
There is no standard piece of information that this letter ought to contain. Instead, each applicant specifies the precise kinds of information he is on the lookout for and leaves it to the employer to furnish the details. All factors considered, though, your employment verification letter will typically contain the following pieces of information:
- Name and Address of the Applicant – This is the name and the address of the person who is seeking to know about the employment status of the employee under scrutiny.
- Name and Address of the Employer – The name and the address of the employer, or the firm that the person under scrutiny is presently working for.
- Name of Employee – The name of the person whose employment details are currently being sought. In some instances, this name may be followed by the capacity in which he works.
- Work Capacity and Remuneration Package – How much is the employee currently earning. What other benefits is the employee currently receiving or is entitled to?
- Any other Business – As stated above, this letter is highly dynamic in the sense that its contents are largely determined by the needs and the wishes of the applicant. Care should hence be taken to craft it alongside the needs of the applicant.
Employment Verification Letter (Format)
Your City, State Zip Code
Your Phone Number
City, State Zip Code
Respected Mr. /Ms. Last Name:
Re: Employment Verification Letter
This letter verifies that __________ (name of the person under scrutiny) is duly employed by our firm __________ (name of the firm). He holds the title ____ (specify the title) and has been working for us for _________ (outline the duration of time).
Generally speaking, he has been intelligent, warm, welcoming, and cordial to his peers and colleagues. Kindly grant him the opportunity he is presently seeking.
Feel free to reach us on XXX-XXX-XXXX for any urgent matters of clarification.
Signature (hard copy letter)
- MS Word
Employment Verification Letter (Samples)
Dr. Merill Anderson,
Human Resource Manager – Waco Kitchenette
3601 Hillcrest Drive,
Waco, TX 76708
Monday, June 22, 2020
Head of Credit Section – Texas Capital Incorporated,
2203 Austin Avenue,
Waco, TX 76701
RE: Employment Verification Letter
This is to prove that Mrs. Annette Taylor is duly employed by our firm in the capacity of a chef. Her gross monthly salary comes to about $2,000.00.
We understand that she is presently applying to buy a car worth $30,000 under your company’s hire purchase scheme. We subsequently vouch for her ability to keep up with the payments and overall reliability.
Kindly reach us through (254) 750-5600 for any urgent matters.
Dr. Merill Anderson,
Human Resource Manager – Waco Kitchenette
- MS Word
Things to Keep in Mind While Writing an Employment Verification Letter
While drafting this letter, you have to bear certain things in mind. Here below, we identify and explain those things that you inevitably have to keep in mind while doing so:
- The Relevance of Contents: You have to see to it that the contents are relevant to what the applicant has asked for. We have already explained that each applicant will often seek a specific and unique piece of information. You hence cannot a generalized approach to draft a letter of this kind.
- Verifiable Facts: Every detail you incorporate in the letter has to be verifiable. That can only happen if you take your time to dig deeper and mine every information that you are to supply. This is to avoid conflicts that may arise if and when the applicant decides now to confirm whether they are true or false.
- Professional Tone: Being a serious letter, you cannot approach it from a ‘friendly perspective.’ Instead, you have to insist on a professional tone always. On the same note, use the grammar that measures up to the professionalism and avoid incorporating slang in your diction or writings.
- Brief and Concise: As always, keep the letter shorter and to the point. Stick as nearly as possible to the theme of the letter and avoid incorporating details that are largely irrelevant to the topic of discussion. Use also short, sweet, and precise paragraphs to convey the points you have in mind.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
We take a look at some of the frequently asked questions that surround this wonderful subject matter of the employment verification letter:
YES, he can! At present, there is no law that mandates a previous employer to furnish this vital document. As such, it is left to the whims of the employer to determine whether or not to supply it.
Federal and state agencies have the express right to receive this letter from an employer under their jurisdiction. Thus, an employer has to respond to it if it comes from these two agencies or sources.
Speak to the officer in charge of the human resource department. Be polite as you send out this request as you are strictly speaking, not entitled to it.
Knowing how to write an employment verification letter is a great thing to do. How else can you meet the obligations of doing so when called upon? We now ask you to follow the leads above to achieve this wonderful end. What more could you ask of us? Go ahead now to implement the finer details you have learned from us.