A cover letter for an internship is a one-page letter that is often written to an employer who wants to offer you an internship. It is a letter that is written to introduce yourself to the employer, this letter also helps in highlighting your enthusiasm for the position you have applied for, with this letter, you will also be able to clearly explain your skills as well as your qualifications for that internship and confirm the availability to start that new position.
It is always important that you include a cover letter when making any job or internship application unless you are told by the employer not to, that is when you should not. Below is the information you might want to know about writing a cover letter.
How to write a cover letter for internship
- The first paragraph will need you to first introduce yourself, from then you will have to mention the position you are applying for and how you heard about that position. You should then express your interest to that position and also explain how it relates to your passion.
- Paragraphs two and three will need you to scan through the description of the internship position then pick out the qualities that you are sure to describe you best then try to provide an example on those qualities. Directly mentioning traits in the cover letter shows that you have indeed read the job description
- Explain the relevant skills and experience that you have, and as you do this, you should accompany those explanations with examples that support your claim. However, some people might lack experience, but this should not stop you from mentioning your skills, there are skills that you might have gained on school projects or passion projects.
- End by thanking the recipient for considering you, and you should remember to end in a positive and confident tone, you can as well ask them to contact you in case of anything. You can also conclude by mentioning how you will follow up.
Tips for writing an internship cover letter
- The cover letter should be limited to one page, except when you are applying for an academic faculty. A long letter will bore the reader and he might end up not reading the whole letter, but when applying for academic faculty,
- The font and formatting should be the same as that in your resume. Consistency is important this will make a great first impression to your employer.
- The letter should be written in a formal and professional language.
- You should also ensure that you personalize the cover letter to the particular position that you are applying to, by doing this, your employer will be in a position to know what you are applying for.
- The cover letter should only be addressed to a specific person. By doing this, you will be able to avoid instances of late replies or instances of the letter failing to reach the intended recipient.
- Re-read your letter to check if there are any typo errors, sending a letter that has a lot of errors might make employer to deny you the chance.
- Avoid being too wordy, you should always be straight to the point and easy to scan, by doing this, the recipient will be in a position to quickly read though your letter.
- Include the relevant skills and experience that will benefit your employer, by doing this; your employer will be able to see that you have the relevant skills and experience and give you the job.
Sample Cover Letter for Internship
456 Main Street
Any town, TX 45112
7th January 2019.
Human Resource Manager
321 Business Rd.
Business city, TX 54678
Dear Ms. Benise,
I am Charles Aluma, and I am hereby applying for the marketing internship role following your advert that was on your website on Monday. Since academic accomplishments meet the necessary requirements and I was also looking for a challenging internship, I was therefore drawn to this exciting opportunity.
During my study at California State University, I got to acquire skills in the advertisement, market research, and product development. While studying, I focused on the following:
- Strategic internet marketing
- Marketing analytics
- Survey Research
I was able to design a marketing campaign for a residential carpet cleaning business using my knowledge above. The business got to yield the highest return based on our budget. The campaign went so well that I even got awarded.
I would appreciate it if you give me an interview opportunity. Please accept my enclosed resume and feel free to contact me at your convenience. Thank you for your consideration.