So, you just came across a job advertisement that announces a promising accounting job, with requirements and qualifications you meet? Well, you had better submit your resume alongside a cover letter and other necessary documents ASAP because you might just get lucky to be called for an interview.
Ours is to help you increase your chances of getting positive feedback by teaching you how to write a great cover letter.
How to Write an Accounting Cover Letter
This is how to write a nice accounting cover letter.
- Be precise—the accounting profession entails a wide range of jobs. Make sure that you precisely address the particular job as well as the position that was advertised.
- Professional course and training—do not exclude any professional course or training you have undertaken from your submission.
- Professional associations—highlight any professional association of which you are a member as long as it is relevant.
- Showcase your value—this is the part where you should highligh any achievements you have made in your past relevant positions, as well as commendations you received from your bosses. This is a great way to demonstrate your value.
- Set yourself apart with impressive statistics—tell the employer how you helped the various companies you have worked for in the past reduce costs, increase revenues or witness an improvement in another area by this or that percentage.
- Tell the employer how you will contribute to the company—use your skills, experiences and achievements to exemplify how you will use them to make positive contributions to the company if hired.
Sample Accounting Cover Letter
Consider the following accounting cover letter sample:
Dear Mr./Mrs./Ms [Hiring Manager’s Name]
I hereby apply for the senior accountant position, which your organization [company name] advertised on its website yesterday. My qualifications and professional background strongly match the requirements to fill this position.
I have worked for [name of your previous company] for four and a half years as a senior accountant. In those years, I have acquired more knowledge and experience that will be very valuable to your company. With great organizational and problem-solving skills, I believe I can contribute positively to this organization if hired.
During my tenure, I made two impressive achievements. In my third year with the organization, I helped the company reduce operating costs by 20 percent, thus receiving a commendation from my boss. Then in my final six months, I had the company’s tax obligations drop by 5 percent.
As a member of the AICPA for more than five years, I have attended numerous seminars organized by this association to further hone my skills and stay updated with new standards and practices in the accounting profession.
Attentive to detail, result-oriented and a great team leader, I would like to put those qualities together with sharp skills and vast experience to use for the benefit of your organization. If considered, I am confident that I will play a key role towards the future growth of your organization. I have done a great job for many organizations with a proven track record.
Sample Accounting Cover Letter (Downloadable Version)