A furniture bill of sale is legal proof that a transaction took place; it contains relevant details about the purchase.
A furniture bill of sale form is a legal document that provides proof of the legal sale and purchase of any given furniture, indoor or outdoor.
The furniture bill of sale form confirms that the transaction between the buyer and seller of the specific furniture took place. This document can be used for the sale of used and unused furniture.
Considerations about Furniture Bill of Sale Form
The furniture bill of sale form is usually completed and issued to the buyer at the point of purchase. It serves as a receipt to the buyer. The seller can also copy the completed and signed furniture bill of sale form for record-keeping purposes.
Following are a few considerations about this form of bill of sale:
When do you need a furniture bill of sale?
A furniture bill of sale is a document used to transfer the property rights of the commodity from an original owner (seller) to a new owner (buyer). This form comes in handy anytime one is selling or buying used or new handcrafted furniture. The furniture bill of sale form is essential due to the following reasons:
- It’s proof that the person selling the furniture is the real owner. Since you may not know the origin of the furniture, it’s essential to have a legal document showing how you acquired the products. The document can be produced in court to prove you acquired the furniture legally.
- It outlines the terms and conditions of the purchase. The furniture bill of sale will spell out the terms of the agreement. The buyer will be aware of what they’re signing.
- A furniture bill of sale will protect both the buyer and seller in case of any disagreements that may arise after sealing the transaction.
- It can act as a receipt to prove you’re the legal owner of the furniture. After the transaction, make sure you keep the furniture bill of sale safely; you might be asked to prove ownership of the furniture.
- The furniture bill of sale form singles out the specific piece of furniture by listing its identifying features at the time of the purchase; therefore, it protects the seller from any further liabilities concerning the maintenance of the piece of furniture
- The furniture bill of sale form sets an agreed-upon price in writing.
What to include in a furniture bill of sale?
You may decide to create a furniture bill of sale from scratch or download a template that you can customize to your desired need. The latter option is the best since it’ll save you time besides you’ll not miss out on any relevant information. A standard furniture bill of sale includes the following details:
- Name and address of the seller
- Name and address of the buyer
- Date& Time of the purchase
- The agreed price for the furniture
- The location where the purchase is taking place. The furniture bill of sale must include information such as the state, city, and zip code of the place the transaction took place.
- Form of payment (is it cash, check, credit card, or debit card)
- As –is the clause: This clause is proof the buyer has agreed to purchase the furniture in its current condition.
- A description of the furniture (brand, color, type, condition serial number, and any other vital details about the furniture)
- Signatures and printed names of the buyer, seller, and witnesses.
The transaction is complete after signing the form, and the buyer has paid for the furniture. After signing the furniture bill of sale form, the seller will retain one copy of the form and issue another to the buyer.
Steps for Selling Furniture
Selling a carefully handcrafted piece of furniture can be challenging, primarily if someone has never sold one before, and he/she would like to obtain value for their piece of furniture. This is why we have provided our readers with a step-by-step guide and game plan for selling their used or unused furniture. The tips provided below can go a long way in improving the speed and price in which a seller’s furniture sells:
Determine the furniture’s worth
The first step of successfully selling a piece of furniture and obtaining value for time spent preparing, listing, and shipping or selling furniture involves taking the time to sift through what’s worth selling and worth donating. Therefore, a seller should do some research online and determine if the specific piece of furniture will be worth selling or not; simply because the item’s owner sees its value does not mean that buyers will feel that way. If it is in bad condition or cheaper, it should be given away, donated, or thrown out. However, if the piece is in excellent condition and value, the seller can proceed with the other steps in selling a piece of furniture.
Tidy up the piece of furniture
After sorting out worthy and valuable items to sell from cheap and unworthy pieces, the remaining pieces should be dusted, cleaned up, or washed. Sometimes, this may require special cleaning. It is crucial for the seller not to sell anything that they would not be happy to buy themselves.
Take quality snapshots
After giving the used furniture a new shine with a bit of cleaning and refurbishing, the seller should take some quality snapshots for listing in different online marketplaces. Take quality photos, place the item in a transparent background with neutral lighting, and take the pictures from different angles. If there are any faults, tears, scuffs, or other imperfections on the item, it is advisable to take images of these in close-up. Trying to hide these imperfections is not good as it will only come back to bite the seller. Typically, most online platforms allow buyers to review a specific seller once the transaction has been finalized and the item is received. A Poor Customer review has the potential to dry up the interest of potential buyers and vice versa.
Post the ads in listings
Before posting ads on local listings and websites, a seller is encouraged to let friends and family know that they are selling items to help spread the word. Afterward, post some flyers, advertise on social media pages and use newspapers or online classifieds to attract more prospective buyers.
For large pieces of furniture, shipping online is rarely worth it as it is very costly. Thus, it would be great to list these at a site that offers in-person pick-up only. Sites that offer ‘in-person selling only’ include:
- Facebook Marketplace
Sites that offer to ship once the goods are sold include:
Meet with potential buyers
if buyers show interest in the specific furniture, allow them to see the furniture in person before making their decision. At this point, they most likely try to negotiate the selling price. If the seller is worried about losing more money, set the asking price at a higher-end to bargain. Work with the seller and find an agreed selling or buying price. Then proceed to prepare a furniture bill of sale form.
Fill the furniture bill of sale form
To seal the transfer of ownership of a piece of furniture between a seller and a buyer, one will need to prepare and complete a bill of sale form. A seller could create one from scratch, but that would be time-consuming and may leave out some essential details. Using free online furniture bill of sale templates and customizing them as desired is highly recommended. After downloading the template, the seller would be required to supply the following information in the form:
- The furniture’s effective date of purchase
- The seller’s name and official address
- The buyer’s name and address
- A detailed description of the piece of furniture including:
- The type
- Specific color
- Serial number, if any
- Dealer, if any
- Any other relevant information
- The final purchasing prices
- If the seller is making a yard sale for used furniture, he/she will have to provide an “As-Is” clause. This clause is a declaration and proof that the buyer has agreed to purchase the piece of furniture in its current condition.
- Signatures printed names and dates of the buyer, seller, and any witnesses.
Once the form is completed, signed and the buying price has been paid, the transaction is complete. The piece of furniture is then presented to the new owner. The original copy of the furniture bill of sale form is issued to the buyer, and the seller can make a copy of the document for record-keeping purposes. All “As-Is” sales are final once the transaction has taken place and been documented.
Free Forms and Templates
Here are free customizable templates that can be downloaded :
A furniture bill of sale form establishes and records the details of a transaction between a seller and a buyer. Although creating a bill of sale fashioned to serve furniture transactions is optional, it is always advisable to have one to help avoid disputes regarding ownership of the item. A buyer should always request a furniture bill of sale form from the seller to have a written proof of purchase that acts as a receipt.