A furniture bill of sale is a business document that is used the transfer of any furniture (outdoor or indoor furniture) from a seller to a buyer. The document is legal proof that a transaction took place; it contains relevant details about the purchase. This document is issued to seal the transaction.
When do you need a furniture bill of sale?
If you’re purchasing furniture from seller — mostly used furniture — it’s essential to have a furniture bill of sale for the following reasons:
- It’s proof that the person selling the furniture is the real owner. Since you may not know the origin of the furniture, it’s essential to have a legal document showing how you acquired the products. The document can be produced in a court to prove you acquired the furniture legally.
- It outlines the terms and conditions of the purchase. The furniture bill of sale will spell out terms of the agreement. The buyer will be aware of what they’re signing.
- A furniture bill of sale will protect both the buyer and seller in case of any disagreements that may arise after the sealing the transaction.
- It can act a receipt to prove you’re the legal owner of the furniture. After the transaction, make sure you keep the furniture bill of sale safely; you might be asked to prove ownership of the furniture.
What to include in a furniture bill of sale?
You may decide to create a furniture bill of sale from scratch or download a template that you can customize to your desired need. The latter option is the best since it’ll save you time besides you’ll not miss out any relevant information. A standard furniture bill of sale includes the following details:
- Name and address of the seller
- Name and address of the buyer
- Date& time of the purchase
- The agreed price for the furniture
- The location where the purchase is taking place. The furniture bill of sale must include information such as the state, city, and zip code of the place the transaction took place.
- Form of payment (is it cash, check, credit card or debit card)
- As –is clause: This clause is a proof the buyer has agreed to purchase the furniture in its current condition.
- A description of the furniture (brand, color, type, condition serial number, and any other vital details about the furniture)
- Signatures and printed names of the buyer, seller, and witnesses.
The transaction is complete after signing the form, and the buyer has paid for the furniture. After signing the furniture bill of sale form, the seller will retain one copy of the form and issue another to the buyer.