A biologist is a person who specializes in the study of plants and animals either in the field or in a biology laboratory. There are different specializations in the biological field, which includes ecology, microbiology, and marine ecology among others. The main work of a biologist is to carry out experiments and research, make observations, teaching, and attend biological events.
When it comes to fieldwork, biologists also have a role of monitoring the number of endangered plant and animal species.
How to write a biologist cover letter
When writing a biologist cover letter, the two most important things that you need to consider are the skills and qualifications that you have in the job. The most important skills and qualifications include;
- Practical scientific skills
- Interpersonal and communication skills
- Computer competencies
- Paying attention to details
- Having passion in the biological field that you are applying for
Remember that when it comes to biological careers, research and experiments have to be done regardless of your area of specialization. If for instance, you want to become marine biologists, you have to frequent research and carry out experiments in the marine life. Here are some points to help you write an outstanding biologist cover letter;
- Mention the position that you are applying for.
- Expressing your passion and interests in the area of specialization that you are applying for can also come in handy.
- If you have any work experiences in the area, you can mention it after the introduction, including the skills that you gathered in the past.
- Explain your technical research skills, including scientific articles, research papers or even books that you have published.
- Education background is a must when writing a biology cover letter
- The last paragraph should express your willingness to contribute positively to the development of the institution. Do not forget to include your email address or a contact number if possible.
Sample Biologist Cover Letter
Dear Mr. Lawson,
Following your job advertisement on Craigslist, I hereby apply for the position of a biologist in your reputable organization.
I have a bachelor’s degree in biological sciences from the University of California. I am also a skilled and qualified biologist with seven years of experience (mention at least three skills).
With the skills I have, I am confident that I can become a great asset to your organization. Besides my knowledge in the field, I also have strong communication and writing skills which will enable me to give presentations and write detailed reports. I believe in teamwork, and I can also able to finish my projects on time. I promise to do my best in helping your organization move forward.
Kindly find my attached CV and other academic and professional documents that expand further on my skills. Please reach me on (email address) or (phone number) to discuss further about this position. Thank you in advance and I look forward to hearing from you soon.
Biologist Cover Letter (Word Template)