Sending a thank-you letter for a recommendation is a good way of recognizing your referrer’s efforts for writing you a recommendation letter. It is, therefore, a great idea to learn how to write and send a thank you letter while maintaining your professional connection.
Why Send a Thank-You Letter?
Courtesy demand that you say thank you to someone who has taken their time to write you a letter of recommendation. Expressing your gratitude to them for taking their time to write you a recommendation letter can help build your connection in business and academic life. A thank you letter also acts as a reflection of your good manners.
How to Write a Thank You Letter for a Recommendation
When writing a thank you letter, here are some important points to note;
- Address Your Letter To A Specific Person: addressing the letter to an individual is the best way of showing them an appreciation for what they have done for you.
- Do Not Thank The Person Beforehand: do not be presumptuous when writing the letter. This will only show the recipient that you are unwilling to write a follow-up letter
- Be Sincere: when writing a thank you letter for a recommendation, it is good to be as straightforward as possible as most people can sense right away when you aren’t honest.
- Make Your Letter Stand Out: be specific and to the point. Show some creativity by creating a headline if appropriate.
- End On A Positive Note: you can close the letter with an expression of gratitude or a suggestion of possible future action.
Thank Your Letter Tips
- Be Gracious: the main reason for writing a thank you letter is to preserve the relationship you have with the recipient of the letter. When someone dedicates their time to recommend you for a position, job offer, or merely recommending your services to other people, then this person will probably be able to help you in some other aspects in the future.
- Write The Letter As Soon As Possible: as soon as you learn that someone recommended your services, or recommended you for a job position, it is advisable to write the letter as quickly as possible.
- Be Clear And Concise: Keep the letter brief and go straight to the point. There is no need to go into pointless details.
- Proofread The Letter: go through the letter, to ensure that it is free of any grammatical errors and typos. Make sure that the letter is perfect and that it conveys your intended message.
Sample 1: Thank You for a Letter of Recommendation
Thank You For A Letter Of Recommendation
(Provide name, address, location, and contact of that person)
I truly appreciate your help. Thank you for the reference you gave me to support my application at XYZ company. I am grateful for what you did back then have always dreamt of working at this company as XXX (job title) since my internship opportunity at XXX Company, where I learned administrative skills.
I believe your reference was of more significance since the manager offered me the position, and I am currently preparing for my interview, which will be after two days. I am thankful again for writing me such a strong recommendation. I am hopeful that we will still stay in touch soon.
- MS Word
Sample 2: Thank You for a Letter of Recommendation
Sample Thank You For A Letter Of Recommendation
P.O BOX 620 00100
I am writing this letter to you to say thank you for your letter of recommendation. Caroline, you are among the first people whom I want to share the great news about my job. Your reference has enthused the Human Resource Management team at Brooklyn Bank, and as a result, I have just received a letter of invitation as an accountant at Brooklyn Bank.
I believe that your strong recommendation letter gave a competitive advantage over the other applicants and enabled me to secure my dream job.
Do not hesitate to call me for any favors, since I will be readily available to repay you for the kind words.
- MS Word