A Moped Bill of Sale is a document formalizing the transfer of ownership of a moped from one party to another for purposes of trades or in exchange for an agreed-upon sum of money.
The bill of sale for the moped must contain relevant details about the moped. in addition, it must also contain the buyer and seller’s personal information. The bill of sale for the moped identifies the previous owner (seller) and the new owner (buyer) of the moped.
Once the seller validates the bill of sale for the moped, it protects the seller from all liability and defects or damage (including damaged parts, and operational defects) on the moped.
Do you need a bill of sale for a moped?
By all means, you do! As stated above, it is this document that acts as proof that you indeed purchased the scooter. Failure to possess it might put you in a compromising situation. Moreover, you might not even be able to register your scooter with the department of motor vehicles.
How to Write a Bill of Sale for Moped
It is important to take great care when writing a bill of sale for a scooter as it provides legal protection to the seller against liability while serving as proof of ownership for the buyer. Both the buyer and the seller are required to accurately and honestly provide the details required in the relevant fields on the bill of sale for the scooter.
The seller’s information includes all relevant details necessary to identify the seller of the moped. The bill of sale for the moped should include the following details about the seller:
- Seller’s name
- Seller’s signature
- Seller’s address
- Zip code
The buyer’s information is just as important as the seller’s information on the bill of sale for the moped. The buyer is required to provide honest and accurate personal information where required in the bill of sale for the scooter. The buyer’s information required to be written is:
- Buyer’s name
- Buyer’s signature
- Buyer’s address
- Zip code
Now, this is the crux of this document. This segment showcases all the details of the scooter. These details uniquely separate one scooter from another. They allow for easy tracking and compensation if need be.
- Motor (cc)– It is the motor that generates the torque which propels the scooter forwards. Under this parameter, the information shall touch on the horsepower capacity and power output.
- Model – Apart from the make, the model also brings out some uniqueness from one scooter to another. Unlike the make, it is showcased in terms of brand name, rather than engine capacity.
- Year – The year in this sense is the time when the scooter was officially manufactured. It gives a rough picture of how strong the scooter is and how long it may last.
- Color – Color is the hue that adorns the exterior of the scooter. If the exact color is not to your liking, you have the leeway to ask for its replacement.
- Registration Number – Obviously, the manufacturer has to assign a unique number to each scooter it produces. This is called the registration number. You want to ask the manufacturer for appropriate confirmation.
- Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) – In case the moped you are interested in had already been owned, it must bear a registration number. For your safety, you want to counter-check this detail with the department of motor vehicles.
- Odometer Reading – An odometer measures the distance traveled by the vehicle in its whole lifetime. It also gives you a rough clue of just how old the scooter could be and for how long you might use it.
- Condition – Condition is an executive summary of the state of the scooter. Basically, it showcases how the scooter appears, its overall quality, and its working order.
- Other Relevant Details – Under this are those tiny details which may give further clarifications on the ones we have already discussed above.
An important piece of information to be included under the moped bill of sale is the purchase information. The purchase information includes all relevant details about the exchange of ownership as well as the purchase agreement or trade agreements between the buyer and the seller. The following details are finalized in the purchase information of the bill of sale for the moped.
- Date of purchase: The date on which the purchase or trade of the moped was made should be specified on the bill of sale for the moped. The date of the transaction must be written at the beginning and at the end of the bill of sale.
- Purchase price: The agreed-upon amount or item exchanged for the moped should be specified on the bill of sale for the moped. If for instance the moped is being traded for a piece of jewelry, details about the item being exchanged for the moped must be specified on the bill of sale for the moped. If the moped is being exchanged for money on the other hand the exact amount agreed upon by the buyer and the seller must be specified on the bill of sale for the moped
If the seller requires a security deposit from the buyer to take the scooter off the market, the amount requested for the security deposit must be specified on the bill of sale.
If the buyer and seller agreed upon an inspection period during which the buyer may reject the moped, the date upon which the inspection period expires, as well as defects, damages, or faults that may invalidate the sale of the moped must be specified in the bill of sale for the moped.
Signatures and notarization
The signatures from the buyer, the seller, or witnesses (if any) finalize the bill of sale for the moped. However, the buyer or seller may require notarization on the bill of sale. In such an instance both the buyer and the seller must sign the bill of sale for the moped in the presence of the notary. The notary must also sign a statement verifying that the buyer and seller signed the documents in the presence of the notary.
Free Moped Bill of Sale Forms
Following are free moped bill of sale forms templates that can be customized as per needs:
A moped bill of sale is a legally enforceable and binding document that serves as protection from liability for the seller while providing the buyer with proof of ownership. As such the moped bill of sale must be well written and accurately filled. Hence, we have provided accurate and well-researched templates for a bill of sale for moped sales and trade.