An Authorization Letter to Collect Documents is a legal document that entrusts a person to collect essential documents on behalf of the person who wrote the letter. This letter can help to avoid any legal complications or misunderstandings. The letter will include the actions that the entrusted person can perform and the actions they are not permitted to do.
Authorization Letters to Collect Documents are often used to avoid legal ramifications due to the improper handling of private information and legal papers. They have a wide range of applications as they can be used to collect medical records, educational records and degrees, certificates, and other important private documents.
- With the help of a sample authorization letter, an individual would get an idea about the formatting.
- A sample authorization letter to collect documents can guide an individual about the kind of content to include in the letter.
- It would also assist in including the relevant and required information, which is necessary for the collection of the important documents.
- A sample makes it easier to write the complete letter within a short span of time.
Here is a collection of pre-built downloadable templates in Word format for you to craft your authorization letter quickly. Get your hands on these for free and save your time and efforts.
How to Write
Mentioned below are steps that an authorizer can use to write an authorization letter to collect documents:
Section 1: Introduction
This section introduces the parties involved in the authorization process:
Introduction of the authorizer
The Letter of Authorization starts by introducing the person permitting another person to collect documents on their behalf.
- The full name of the authorizer, such as: “Mrs. Lilah Patrick”.
- The full address of the authorizer. The address includes the country, state, city, name of the street, and house number. The zip code for the area can also be added. For example, “USA, MN, Columbus, Camp 3 Rd Ne”.
- The contact information of the authorizer, such as their phone number.
- The date of writing the document is also required, preferably in the format of DD/MM/YYYY
Provide recipient’s information
The information of the recipient is required afterward. This information can either pertain to the person who will be inspecting the authorization letter or the department doing so. The information required includes:
- The full name of the recipient or the name of the entity receiving the authorization letter, for example: “Mrs. Jane Doe” or the hospital’s name.
- The full address of the recipient, whether they are a singular person or a department. For example, the address of the hospital.
- The recipient’s contact information is also needed, such as their phone number.
Authorized person’s details
Details of the person being given the authorization are required next. The details need to include:
- The full name of the person who is granted the authorization. Such as: “Mr. Albert Smith”.
- The full address of the person being granted the authorization.
- Information regarding the document that will confirm the identity of the person. It includes the type or name of the document and the ID number. For example: “Passport, 6384762”.
Section 2: Body
The body of the authorization letter will include information regarding the purpose of the letter, the authorized actions, and other details such as the university registration number. The documents that are provided with the authorization letter are also included here. The information that is required within this paragraph includes:
- The purpose of the letter– The purpose of the authorization and the person’s name who is being given this authorization. For example: “I am writing this letter to grant permission to Mr. Smith to collect my official transcript from the University of London”.
- A list of all of the authorized actions and the unauthorized actions. For example: “ Mr. Smith is permitted to collect my medical records from the hospital. However, he is not permitted to make any decisions regarding my medical condition and medications”.
- A suggestion of an appropriate course of action. For example: “Kindly provide the required documents”.
- The timeframe for this authorization is also provided. After the timeframe ends, the authorization letter will be nullified. For example: “I grant this authorization from the 1st of July to the 25th of August of the year 20XX”.
Section 3: Conclusion
The end of the letter is where the signature of the authorizer will be. Additional information regarding any terms that this letter is subject to can also be written here.
- The letter ends with “Sincerely” or “Best regards”, followed by the name and title of the authorizer.
- There will be space at the end to provide the signature of the authorizer.
Tips for Authorization Letter to Collect Documents
Following tips may be followed for writing an effective authorization letter to collect documents:
- Formal intonation: The authorization letter is written in a strictly formal language. There should not be any informal language or slang as this letter is used for business purposes. Thus talking in a formal language can open new avenues in business.
- Purpose: The purpose of the letter needs to be stated as clearly as possible to avoid any vagueness and misunderstandings.
- Clarity: Clear, concise, and accurate language should be used. If confusion occurs, it will be quite problematic and time-consuming to correct the confusion.
- Valid period of authorization: The authorization period must be valid for the letter to be accepted; otherwise, it will be rejected. Such as; an authorization period can not occur in the past.
- Specify the assigned task: The assigned task should be as clear as possible to avoid any mix-up. Vague tasks can grant unwanted access or the opposite, i.e., fewer permissions than what is wanted.
- No indentation at the end of the letter: A space of multiple lines (three or four) is better to be left at the end of the letter to give space for the signature above the name and title of the authorizer.
Authorization Letter Format to Collect Documents on Your Behalf
Whom it may concern
I, (Name) need my (mention any important document, for example, birth certificate) for official purpose. I authorize, Mr/Ms. (Name) to collect this document on my behalf as I am unable to attend your office due to (XYZ) reason. I have no objection to Mr/Ms. (Name) signing the required documents in my absence.
Sample Authority Letter for the Collection of Documents
Whom it may concern
I,__________ hereby authorize Mr/Ms __________ to collect the following documents in my absence as I am unable to attend due to unforeseen circumstances.
Certificate of Domicile
I have no objection to Mr/Ms __________ signing the required letters in my absence and he/she can collect the copies of the above-mentioned documents from the office.
The Authorization Letter to Collect Documents is a document that grants permission to other individuals to collect documents that are otherwise not allowed access to by anyone other than the first party that the document pertains to. The letter will include information regarding the authorizer, the recipient of the paper, information regarding the person who is granted the authorization, and information regarding the authorization itself. The letter is written in a formal language that is accurate, clear, and brief. The signature of the authorizer will be at the bottom of the letter.