The transitioning from temporary to permanent employment is a very common occurrence in the corporate sector. If the working conditions of an organization are to the liking of an employee, it is only expected that said employee pursues a long-term relationship with the company, especially if they were brought in on temporary hire. When seeking a more permanent role in a firm, your primary goal is to give your employer the best impression.
Temporary to Permanent Employment Request Letter is a formal letter written by a temporary employee to the management of an organization seeking permanence in said firm. The letter is expected to be written in humble and polite terms given that it is a request, but also, it is expected not to lose any of its formality.
In some organizations, you are required to fill out a form to transition into permanent staff. It is advised that you do not stop at that, you should write a letter to the supervisor in charge of hiring permanent employees too. This is a really good way to introduce yourself. It also gives you an edge over the others that stopped at filling the form and lets the employer know that you are serious about securing a permanent role. This is especially true if you have been working for several months as a temporary employee. Your employer will get the impression that you are quite satisfied with your position and do not want a permanent role unless you tell him/her otherwise.
Depending on the agency you are working with, you may be required to fill out more job application forms and complete some paperwork with the Human Resources department of the organization.
An instance is the Federal Agencies. It would interest you to know that these agencies do not give the same status to temporary employees as they do to their permanent employees. Transitioning from temp to a permanent role here is not going to be quite as easy.
It is important to keep in mind that your request letter will do the speaking for you.
So, as a matter of priority, it should be properly structured to convey your intentions clearly and swiftly. You might have to compete for your job with others who are more likely to be hired owing to the fact that they have previously worked in a federal agency or are veterans.
In this piece, we have assembled a detailed step-by-step procedure that helps you create the perfect temp to permanent employment request letter and also ensures that you bag the employment.
Components of the Letter
The following information should be included in a permanent employment request letter;
The importance of adding this bit of information cannot be overemphasized. You need to ensure that your employer has multiple ways to contact you. Your contact information should include;
- Personal Phone Number: This is a number that should always be available and, if possible, always on your person. You never know when your employer might decide to reach out.
- Email Address: Endeavor to use a working email address should your employer choose that medium to communicate
- A Business Extension: This is not a compulsory addition. However, it enriches your application when provided. It shows that you work hard and are able to effectively manage a business. It provides your employer confidence in your skills. So, if you have a business extension, don’t be shy to include it in your contact information.
Tenure of employment
It is important to let your employer know how long you have been working with the company in your temporary position. Also, you should mention the department you were assigned and in what capacity you work/worked.
Doing this is important because the management you are writing to might have no idea where in the company you have worked, what skills you have or if you have worked long enough to be considered for a permanent position. Even if it is a small company, do make sure to always give specific details. Do not assume the recipient of your letter already knows. If there are jobs that you have done with similar skills in the past, it is advisable to cite them too. Remember, the goal is to give the best impression.
Skills and qualifications
Your task here is to impress the supervisor in charge of hiring by writing about all the skills you have acquired and how much you have developed them since you began working with the company. Bring to his/her knowledge that you are already trained in the field, and it would be much easier for you to blend into a more permanent role. Assure your hiring supervisor that you are already abreast with the inner workings of your assigned department. A lot of employers would rather not have to go through the onboarding process of training new employees. They would rather work with an experienced person. You are already trained; use that to your advantage.
This part of the letter is usually typed one line after the last paragraph of the letter. It stays on the same line with the date. Only the first letter of the first word is capitalized. There are only a few complimentary closes that are generally acceptable depending on the type of formal letter being written. The only punctuation written after closing is a comma.
- For very formal letters, the accepted closing is ‘Respectfully yours’.
- For a more friendly and slightly personal formal letter, the closings used are ‘Cordially yours’ and ‘Best regards’.
- For business letters, the common closings are ‘Sincerely’,’ Kind regards’ and’ Yours truly’.
It is a rule that signatures come after the complimentary close, with four blank lines separating them. It is required that the name be written in full, and underneath the name should be a signature. A title can be added if necessary.
Attached below is a professional sample, a guide to help you write the perfect temp to permanent employee request letter containing all the right information.
Write your letter using this format;
Your House Address
Postal Box Number
Mr/Mrs/Dr etc. Employer (Attach appropriate title of the recipient)
The Company’s Name
Company Location (street)
Postal Box Number
Request for the Temp to Permanent Role of a (Name Position)
● Paragraph One
I would like to be put into consideration for the position of (Name position) that you have advertised (Where) and (When). Enclosed in this letter is my up-to-date CV containing in detail my skills and experiences.
● Paragraph Two
Currently, I work in a temporary position as a (state position) performing (state what), and my current contract is fast nearing its end. (If your employment is not contract-based, skip this part). I am interested in securing a more long-term position with this reputable organization, and this temporary to permanent role being advertised is exactly what I am looking for.
● Paragraph Three
For (State period of time), I have been working as (Name what). Then proceed to highlight your skills and experiences, making sure they are in alignment with what the company is looking for.
● Paragraph Four
I would be very grateful to be allowed an avenue to contribute my quota to the actualization of these visions. I would appreciate the opportunity to discuss this with you further.
● Paragraph Five
I am grateful that you took time out of your busy schedule to read my application. I look forward to getting a response from you in due time.
(Your Name and Surname)
Following are the free downloadable templates that can be customized as per needs:
Tips to Get Permanent Employment
A lot of companies prefer to work with temporary employees because they want to confirm if or not the employees are worthy of a permanent position. Or sometimes, the companies might just enjoy the flexibility that comes with hiring temps.
Whichever the case, it is possible to change status from temporary to permanent employee using these deliberate methods;
- Be 100% reliable- Prioritize showing up on time, make sure to deliver quality work on or before a given deadline, and always communicate with your team members or colleagues. Make sure to be available when your presence is requested.
- Be enthusiastic and have the right mindset- You need to show commitment, be enthusiastic and be flexible. Show up earlier than others to work and sometimes offer to stay late. Treat the job like it is full-time employment. Remember, your goal is to achieve permanence in the firm.
- Be genuinely interested in the job- Take the job seriously. Do not be that temporary staff that is lax. As dramatic as it may sound, you need to give your employers and co-workers the impression that they cannot function properly without you around. Show up and be consistent. Be proactive, offer help and ideas whenever you can.
- Build personal relationships- You need to be visible. Get to know the leaders on the inside who partake in the hiring process. Make sure to be polite, shake hands, and introduce yourself to people.
Do not overlook your colleagues, be friendly to them too. They have the ability to spread the word about a “great temp” in a certain department. A good working relationship with everyone can fetch you just about anything.
- Exceed expectations- Make sure to always do slightly better than is expected of you. This is because if you do just that which is expected, then there is nothing spectacular about you. This works against your goal of wanting to be seen. So even in little things, exceed expectations.
In summary, combining the format given to write a temp to permanent employment request letter with the tips and tricks as presented above will give you a good edge over your competitors.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)
According to the United States Department Of Labor (DOL), temporary work is defined as an appointment designed to last one year or less. It is also defined as a job that has a specific end date. But ultimately, the employers can decide when a temporary worker’s employment starts and ends. Oftentimes, the end date is the same day as the completion of a particular project or the return of a permanent staff member. Just like leased, part-time, and seasonal workers, temporary workers are a part of the contingent workforce, and that makes them ineligible for employment benefits.
The simple answer is Yes, a temporary job can become permanent. There is no guarantee of this, however, but if you do play your cards right, then you can easily bag a permanent position.
As simple as it sounds, to transition from temp to permanent employment is not a swift process. Depending on the nature of your temporary employment, it might take you weeks or even months to perfectly position yourself for the role. It is advised that you start preparing for a permanent role as soon as you begin your temporary employment. These things have to be put in place to ensure you are not found lacking in any aspect.