Free Passport Parental Consent Forms (Form DS-3053) Word | PDF

When a minor apply for their passport, they need to have their parents or legal guardians present. They will need to provide the right guardianship and citizenship documentation at the time. There are situations where only one parent can be present, and for this, they will need a “Passport Parental Consent” Form DS-3053.

What is “Passport Parental Consent?

This is the Form that the parent or guardian that will not be present needs to fill out. It states that they give consent and will need to be submitted with the minor’s DS-11 Form. The DS-3053 will need to be signed in front of a notary public, and they will need to present proof of identity with a photo ID that has been issued by the government.

There are 1 of 2 items that will need to be filled out on the DS-3053; The Statement of Consent, which would be used by the parent giving their consent for a passport to be issued, or the Statement of Special Circumstances, which would be filled out by the parent applying if they could not get permission from the parent not-applying.

Form DS-3053 needs to be sent in with form DS-11 at a passport agency that has been approved, or an acceptance facility. This needs to be done within three months from the notarization date. Passports can take between 4 to 6 weeks. You can request an expedited processing option, but this will be an additional fee from the application fee.

Free Templates & Examples

Passport parental consent forms are legal documents that allow a child to travel internationally with someone other than their parents or legal guardians. Our pre-built templates offer a convenient and efficient solution, saving you valuable time and effort. Professionally designed and available for free download, these templates ensure compliance with the necessary legal requirements, making the process easier and hassle-free for you.

Free Template of Consent Form for US Passport to a Minor

Sample Issuance of US Passport Consent Form

Printable Passport Issuance to a Minor Consent Form Example

Editable Letter of Consent to Passport Application Template

    Notarization of Form DS-3043

    There are some documents that you will need to provide to get Form DS-3053 notarized:

    • The minor’s proof of citizenship
    • Proof of guardianship
    • Parents ID

    There are registered websites that allow you to get your Form DS-3053 notarized online, so you won’t have to take time off from work or take your child out of school to visit the passport agency. You will need to have internet access and a camera-enabled computer, mobile phone, or tablet, as well as your ID. Once you have downloaded the form, fill it out, but do not sign it. This needs to be done in front of the online notary.

    Frequently Asked Questions

    How do I get my child’s passport if their mother or father is deceased?

    In the case of one parent being deceased, you will need to provide a death certificate. For single parents, you will need to get a court order that grants you sole legal custody or that grants permission for you to apply for the child’s passport.

    If I have sole custody, do I still need a Form DS-3053?

    No, you do not. Sole guardians and parents with sole custody do not need to get written permission from the other parent.

    Can I use a copy of Form DS-3053?

    No. the document must be original, have been completed recently and needs to be notarized by the parent who will not be present and applying. You also need to make sure there are no crossed-out areas and that the date of the parent’s signature and date of notarization matches.

    Was this helpful?

    Great! Tell us more about your experience

    Not Up to Par? Help Us Fix It!

    Keep Reading

    Thank You for Your Feedback!

    Your Voice, Our Progress. Your feedback matters a lot to us.