These days, having someone you can call your faithful friend is a rare privilege that you must appreciate. A true friend is that one person who is always there for you whenever you need them. With so much on your plates as adults every day, finding someone who cares enough to listen and to be there for you whenever you need them is something extraordinary. Therefore, if you are lucky to have a friend who has always been there for you, then you should not take them for granted and write them a thank you letter.
Sometimes, you need to express your gratitude and let them know how much they mean to you. There are many ways you can do this, including saying it to them. However, none of these methods carry enough weight as the old-fashioned method of letter writing.
This article will teach you how to write a thoughtful thank you letter for a friend of yours.
What is a Thank You Letter?
A thank you letter for a friend (or letter of thanks) is a type of letter that you write to show appreciation to someone. Thank you letters can either be handwritten or typed depending on the recipient. Although there are no fast rules, handwritten letters are primarily suitable for friends and acquaintances as they add a touch of personalization to the letter.
However, it might be better to type the letter when writing to business associates, bosses, or colleagues. Whatever the case may be, a good thank you letter is an important letter that should precede any beautiful acts of kindness.
When to Use a Thank You Letter?
A thank you letter is never a bad idea. Everyone loves to be appreciated, whether they are your boss, your friends, or members of your family.
The following are some specific examples where you can write a thank you letter:
After a job interview
It is a privilege to be considered for a job interview. Therefore, after an interview, you might consider writing a thank you letter to appreciate the goodwill of the interviewer for considering you for the job. The letter will help you create a lasting impression. It could also be an opportunity to show further why you are the best match for this job.
Receiving a job offer
Getting a job offer is a big deal, and therefore, you must send a thank you letter. Your thank you letter to the company will appreciate them for providing you with an opportunity. It should also iterate your commitment to upholding the values of the company.
After receiving a gift
Gifts are a sign of love and sincerity that often requires reciprocation. Therefore, you must take the time to thank someone who took the time to select and purchase a gift for you. In addition, mentioning how you intend to use the gift will also add a touch of personalization.
It is a privilege to have people’s support and love during difficult times. Therefore, those who have sent a personal note, flowers, or a donation should receive a letter of thanks from you.
After receiving a scholarship or prize
A scholarship is an excellent opportunity as it allows you to receive the education you deserve. You must express your gratitude to the college, trust, or any other institution or individual that provided you with the scholarship.
For exceptional hospitality
After you have stayed in someone’s home, houseguest etiquette dictates that you leave a thank you letter for your host after you depart. Remember your hosts made efforts to make your stay comfortable and gracious. Therefore, ensure to inform the hosts how much you enjoyed staying at their place.
How to Write Thank You Letter to Friend
You do not have to struggle to write a thank you letter to your friend. Writing the letter will be relatively easy if you are honest and keep things simple.
Let’s take a look at how you can write a nice thank you letter for a friend:
The header is usually the first part of your letter, and ideally, it should have the following:
- Date: Write the date when you are writing the letter.
- Write your friend’s name and their address: You can choose to write their first names or even their nicknames to make it look more personalized if you are writing to your friend. However, if you are writing an official thank you letter, consider writing to the person’s office or using their last name.
An introduction is a part where you introduce your letter and its reason. It includes the following sections.
- The letter’s subject: This is where you state the reason for writing the letter. For example, you only need to write a subject if you send a professional thank you note. You might also add the subject if you send the thank you letter to a friend via email.
- Greeting: You greet the recipient by telling them you are pleased to write the letter at this stage. When writing to someone unknown, including a title in the greeting, such as “Mr.” or “Ms.” Personal letters to someone close to you usually require more personal greetings.
The body of the letter is the central part where you thank the recipient.
- State the reason for thanking: In the first paragraph of your letter, you must explain why you have decided to write the letter. The reason should be brief, about a line, and mention the specific thing your friend did for you.
- Elaborate further on the acknowledged purpose: The next step is to explain a little further how much you cherish their show of goodwill to you. For example, if you were given a gift, you might also add how you intend to use the gift.
- Recall some memories: You can add a few memories with the reader still close to your heart to add a personal touch. Mention a few similar instances that came through for you, like this one.
- Convey gratitude: Finally, take your time to thank them once more and do your best to use honest words to describe your heartfelt appreciation.
The conclusion of your letter is another opportunity to add a personalized touch to your letter.
- Conclude your letter with a warm thank you: End the letter with a note of gratitude once again. This time, thank the friend generally for the gift of friendship and let them know they mean a lot to you.
- Salutation: Select a proper closing and sign your name at the bottom. For example, if you are writing to a friend, you might end with “Your friend,” “Love you,” or anything else. However, if you are writing to someone else, “Sincerely,” “Respectfully,” and “Best Regards” are some familiar phrases that you can use.
- Write your name: You must write your name and contact information in the header.
Thank you Note Examples
The following are some examples of thank you notes that you can use when writing yours:
My dear David,
Thank you and Stephanie for having Jamie and me over last night. I enjoyed your warm hospitality, especially the nice potato salad we had for dinner.
Jamie and I couldn’t have asked for better hosts. Jamie sends his regards.
Also, if you are here in Minnesota for any reason, I wish to let you know you have a place in our home.
I want to appreciate you for coming to David’s birthday on Saturday and coming with such a wonderful present. Ever since David received his toy car on Saturday, they have been inseparable. He loves the toy, and he’s grateful.
All these reminded me of when we were young when we played with our toy cars.
I’m lucky to have you as a sincere friend, and I know David is lucky to have you as an uncle.
Attached to the letter is a picture of David smiling with his new toy car. I hope it brightens your day. Thank you once again.
Dear Mrs. John,
Thank you so much for being so helpful during this trying time. You were very kind to bring our family so many meals after John died.
They kept our family fed and healthy while we grieved together. I am grateful for your food and support because it is difficult for me to cook for just one person right now.
My grief makes it difficult to find joy in life, but I have found joy in your cooking. The fact that you cared so much about me and my family will be remembered fondly.
Thank you again for assisting my family and me. You weren’t required to do anything, and we appreciate your thoughtfulness.
I’m so grateful I have a friend like you. You have been there for me every time, and I don’t know what I’d do without you. Thank you for staying so sweet.
Cheers to love and sweet friendship.
Now I understand the importance of having a good friend. It’s incredible how you had stayed behind even when everyone else left. You believed in me and pushed me to get here. Thank you for staying by my side and showing me the endless possibilities and greatness in this world.
You know how much I love you, man.
I don’t know how to thank you for my birthday present. I loved the console you got for me. I’ve been stuck with it ever since, enjoying my favorite game. I only wish you were here so we could have fun together. But, once again, I’m grateful.
I miss you, and I wish to see you soon.
Dear Mr. John:
I hope this email meets you well. I want to express my heartfelt gratitude to the board and everyone else at ACC for the opportunity to join the team.
I also wish to appreciate you for taking all the time to interview me and considering me for the job. I am delighted to accept the position, and this is an opportunity I do not take for granted. I wish to state once again, as I did at the interview, that I will do all in my capacity to ensure that this company achieves all its set objectives.
Again, thank you so much. I greatly appreciate you and the entire board at ACC for giving me this opportunity.
Thank you for inviting me to attend your sister’s wedding. I can assure you that I will be there on time to assist you.
I look forward to seeing you soon.
I wish to use this opportunity to appreciate you for offering me the position of Junior Accountant with ABC Motors. I am delighted to take the position, and I am grateful that you took your time to interview me and consider my application.
I would also like to inform you that I will be resuming work on Monday, 28th of January, 2020.
I look forward to working with you and the team! Once again, Thank you for this fantastic opportunity.
My dear friend John,
Thank you for the beautiful tie and cufflinks set you got me for my birthday! The duo matches the plain shirts I have in my wardrobe! I can’t wait to start wearing them to work.
I still remember how we met six years ago at the bus station. Ever since, you have shown me that friends are the most important gifts anyone can ask for.
Once again, thank you for making my birthday memorable. Once I wear the tie and cufflinks on Monday, I’ll send pictures to your phone.
Your best friend,
Thank you for taking the time to celebrate my 25th birthday with me. I was so happy you came. It gave me confidence that the new year will be a great one. It’s such a special feeling knowing that someone out there wants the best for me.
I want to let you know that you will always be my best friend. You’ll always have a special place in my heart.
Thank you for driving from Louisiana to see me. Besides, the dress you got me is so fabulous. It fits perfectly, plus, John says it matches the color of my eyes.
You know I love you so much, and I can’t wait to see you again
Your very best friend,
Just yesterday, after our meeting, I was thinking about our business relationship and how fortunate I am to work with someone as lovely as you. I realized how amazing you are, and I feel you should know about it too. So, I want you to know that you are one of the few people I hold in high regard in this office. I wish to work with you and hope we will have more opportunities to collaborate in the future.
Dear Professor Anderson
I want to say thank you for the extra assistance you provided me for my Mathematics class. Considering how busy you are, I can only be grateful for the time you spent with me.
Before you came along, I had given up my dream of getting a degree in statistics because I did not understand and remember the concepts.
However, I wish to let you know, I will be graduating in June, and that’s all thanks to you. Your type is rare, and I’ll always be indebted to you.
Dear Professor Smith,
I just received a notification that the letter of recommendation you wrote on my behalf has been received. First, I wish to say I’m grateful for taking the time to write me the letter even with your busy schedule. I couldn’t have asked for better words. I’m confident that I will get a job offer from the corporation with this letter. The time you put into writing, that letter will have a long-term impact on my life. I hope one day I can return the favor.
Once again, I’m grateful.
Must to Keep in Mind
Following are some tips for writing thank you letter to a friend:
- Be concise
Your thank you letter to a friend should not be too long. Try to ensure that everything stays within one page.
- Be sincere: Do not exaggerate; instead, try your best to relate how you appreciate your friend and what they have done for you.
- Cherish memories: Ensure to make references to those beautiful moments you had together. This act will give a personalized tone.
- Show gratitude: You can show your friend how grateful you are by adding something unique to the letter. This additional of gift could be your friend’s favorite dress, some cash, or you could bake them some cookies.
- Handwritten note: A handwritten note will help you convey your thoughts better than a card will. So if you want to let your friends know how you feel, write them a message along with the letter.
- Add a token of thank you: To make the letter even more personalized, you can include a small token of gratitude in the form of a gift.
- Proofread your letter: Before mailing your letter, make sure you reread it to correct any errors.
You must always show gratitude, especially to those who love and care about you. It serves as a source of fuel for your relationships. When you recognize and thank your friends for their acts of kindness, you show them how much they mean to you. One of the best ways to show them how much you appreciate them is using thank you letters. It allows you to pen your thoughts effectively.
Frequently Asked Questions
A thank you message should include appreciation regarding what the person has done. You should also include how much you are grateful for what the person has done for you.
Writing a thank you letter is easy. First, you start with a header; then, you move to the body of the letter, where you say thank you in detail. Finally, you conclude and give a suitable salutation.
Your thank-you note should be straight, to the point, and should not exceed a page.