A board of directors resignation letter is a formal letter written to the board by a board member who wishes to resign from their board position.
As a board member looking to resign from the board, you need to know how to write a board resignation letter.
As a member of the board of directors, you are in a position of power where you are responsible for governance, crucial decision making, and proper execution of leadership. However, it would be best to keep in mind that you are still an employee and that the board position has been beneficial to you in many ways. From gaining experience, getting compensated, and having new contacts, being a part of a board of directors is rewarding. Therefore, it is polite and professional for you to use a Board of Directors Resignation Letter when you want to resign from the board position.
Whether leaving your job permanently or temporarily, you need to communicate your resignation plans with the board effectively. You can write down all the details about your resignation and even offer help with replacing you. The best way to handle this is by formally writing a board of directors resignation letter to inform the board of your resignation.
You will need to specify if the resignation is immediate or if it is after some time. This decision will depend on whether you have pending duties and responsibilities that you must accomplish before leaving. This letter is the best way to part ways with the board, and if properly written, it guarantees that the board will not reject your resignation.
It is crucial to write and submit a board resignation letter to the board when you want to resign from your position due to the following benefits:
- The letter offers a formal way of informing the chair and president of the board of your resignation intentions.
- The board of resignation letter is also an effective way of presenting your reasons for leaving your job of the board.
- The letter is essential as it enables you to give a written notice of the day your resignation will become practical to avoid confusion.
- The board of directors resignation letter is also a professional way of leaving your job and allowing the board to adjust and makes changes regarding your position.
Note: Before you write a board of directors resignation letter, it is vital to request a formal meeting with the board members and inform them about your resignation plans. The best way to handle the meeting is, to be honest about the reason for your resignation and answer all questions correctly. Ensure that the time you choose for the meeting is best for every party involved and always be polite while addressing them.
Information to Include
The board resignation letter usually follows the outline of most resignation letters. Therefore, you can write a properly formatted board of directors resignation letter with those basic steps. Here are the steps you should observe when writing a board of directors resignation letter. First, ensure you include all the mentioned information for a proper resignation letter.
Intent to resign
At the very beginning of your letter, you should start by mentioning your intent to resign. Ensure that the information is clear to the recipient of your letter, who is usually the chairman of the board of directors. This will help to avoid confusion.
I am writing to inform you that I wish to resign from my board position as an executive director.
Give an end date
You should also provide an end date. This refers to the date you will be resigning from your board position. This information is essential whether you are resigning immediately or after a while. Including the exact date of your resignation will provide the board chairman with enough notice.
My resignation will be effective from 17th February 20xx.
Note: As a board member of a nonprofit organization, ensure that you find out the required notice period you should give when resigning from the organization’s bylaws.
Explain why you’re resigning (reason)
The following paragraph of the letter should focus on your reasons for resigning. Explain why you are resigning but in a brief manner. Avoid going into details since this letter should be as short as possible.
I am resigning from my board position due to a family emergency that I must deal with. Therefore, I have to leave my job and focus on solving the issue at hand.
It would be best to express your gratitude for the chance to serve on the board of directors.Ensure you thank the board and even wish them well as they continue their work without you. Being grateful is a polite and respectful thing that must be included regardless of your reasons for resigning from your job. Remember to show your appreciation as you might get the chance to work with the same board members elsewhere again.
I am grateful for the chance to work alongside you and the rest of the board members.
Offer to help
You can also offer to help them with the transition process, especially if your resignation is not immediate and you have the time to do so. This can include guiding the new board member, finishing up pending projects, and any other way you can help out that will not be time-consuming for you.
I am available even after my resignation, and I am willing to help you out with any pending assignments and with the training of the new board member.
The final part of the letter is the closing section. You should use a formal and complimentary close such as “Sincerely” or “Best regards.” Ensure you include a handwritten signature and typed name at the end of the letter.
Note: You should have several copies of your board of directors resignation letter made and ensure that each copy has been signed by hand. Apart from giving the chairman of the board your resignation letter, your fellow board members should also receive a copy each. It is best to hand them your resignation letter during your resignation meeting.
Board of Directors Resignation Letter
Here is a board resignation letter template and samples you can use as you write your board of directors resignation letter:
[Your full address]
[Your phone number]
[Your email address]
Dear (Chairman’s Name),
I am writing to inform you of my (mention your intent to resign) from my (mention your board position). My resignation from (mention the board’s name) of the (mention the name of the organization) will be effective as from (mention the end date).
Due to my (explain why you have for resigning from your board position). All in all, I am (mention your gratitude and appreciation to the board). I have genuinely been able to (explain why you are grateful). If you may need help regarding (mention your offer to help), I am capable and available.
I wish you all (with the board all the best in your endeavors). Please feel free to contact me on my (phone number) or (email address). Thank you.
55, Cornerstone Avenue
17th February 20xx
Helping the Poor Foundation
68, Palace Street
Dear Mr. Simmons,
I, Leah Delvey, am writing to formally inform you of my resignation from the head of treasury. As a board member of Helping the Poor Foundation under the Goodwill Organization, I am resigning from my position effectively, 16th March 20xx.
My resignation comes after a series of health issues that I have faced throughout most of the last year. Therefore, I have chosen to resign from my work to focus on my health. I apologize for any inconvenience I may cause with this decision. Unfortunately, due to my health condition, I will not be able to help you with the transition. However, I will ensure that all the pending assignments are completed before I officially leave the board.
I am grateful for the 15 years I have worked together with this board to aid the poor and change people’s lives. I appreciate the opportunity I have had, the contacts I have created, and most importantly, working under you alongside my hardworking colleagues. Thank you very much, Mr. Simmons.
I wish you and the entire board all the best in your activities as you continue to make the world better and safe one step at a time. For any queries, please reach me on my email, [email protected]
344 Congress Ave
Greenland, GL 40400
October 15, 20xx
Milka H. Markey, Ph.D.
Chairman, Board of Directors
Greenland, GL 03402
Subject: Resignation from the Manifold Board of Directors
Dear Mr. Markey,
Please accept this letter as my formal resignation from the board of directors of Manifold Corporation, effective November 1, 20xx.
I decided to resign from the board of directors due to increased responsibilities in my new job as the CEO of Grasslands Group of Companies. In this regard, I will not have adequate time to serve on the board.
I’m grateful for the chance of serving as a member of the board of directors at Manifold Corporation for the past seven years. I wish the company and board the best in the future.
In case you may need more information or assistance of any nature, you can reach me via (213) 566 22443 or [email protected]
Sample 03 [Email Format]
Subject: Resignation – Mike Stephens
Dear Jack Martins,
I write this letter as a notice for my resignation as a board member as Joyland’s Group of Schools, effective December 1, 20xx. I must say I was delighted to be part of the able team that has led the institution for the last seven years. The commitment, zeal, passion, and leadership showed by you, and the rest of the board members are incredible.
It would have been my pleasure to remain part of this dedicated team, but my family will be relocating to Britain in the next two weeks; thus, my decision to resign from the board. I believe you will be able to find a suitable replacement for this position soon. If you need any assistance, I will be ready to help in the meantime.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve on the board. I have learned a lot and contributed positively to the advancement of this institution. I wish the board and the entire institution success.
Letter Writing Tips
It would be best to have special considerations in mind as you write your board of directors resignation letter. With these tips, you will be able to write a proper and professional resignation letter.
Here are some of the tips that you need to consider:
- Be professional: Ensure that you use a formal business letter format when writing your resignation letter. You will remember to include your address, contact information, and signature in this format. This way, you will remain professional even as you resign.
- Indicate the effective date: when resigning from a board position, it’s vital to indicate when the decision will take effect. For example, you can state that you’re leaving immediately or on a specific date.
- Embrace professionalism: Although most board positions are unpaid, you should consider this resignation as any other formal resignation and accord it the respect it deserves. Use a business letter format for your resonator letter. If you can send a letter, you can pass your resignation message in an email.
- Highlight your reasons for resigning: In your resignation letter, you should briefly highlight why you’re quitting. For example, you may be resigning due to a family emergency, sickness, lack of time, a new job, etc.
- Offer to assist if needed: As you resign from your current board position, you should state that you’re ready to help when required. If you had some unfinished tasks, you should assist in finishing up these projects.
- Thank the institution: use this opportunity to thank your colleagues and the institution for the chance to serve on the board. Embrace a positive tone in your letter.
- Use proper formatting: You should adequately format your letter using the professional formatting style for formal letters. Ensure you use the appropriate font type and font size: Times New Roman, Roboto, Helvetica, or Arial at 10- and 12-point font. These font types and sizes make the letter neat and easier to read. Also, the margin around your document should be one-inch all around. Finally, use the block format instead of the indented format when styling your letter.
- Proofread and edit your letter: Since this is a professional document, ensure that you make and maintain a positive impression. After writing it, always proofread your letter and edit any grammar and spelling mistakes.
It is advisable to find a formal way of announcing your departure from your job once you want to resign in an official setting. As a board of directors member, the best approach is to write a board of directors resignation letter. With this letter, you will be able to formally inform the chairman and other board members of your resignation plans.
A properly written, well-formatted, and edited resignation letter is what you will need to present to the board. This should be done only after you have spoken to the board and informed them of your plans. With this letter, always focus on highlighting your plans to resign and mentioning the reasons for that decision. You can use our board resignation letter template and sample to write your resignation letter.