When the time comes for you to resign from your board position, it’s essential to do so professionally via a letter or an email. Although a majority of board positions are unpaid, when resigning, it’s crucial to relay the information formally. When writing your letter, you indicate why you’re quitting and thank the institution for the chance to serve in their board of directors. You should also suggest that you are willing to lend a helping hand in case your help is required.
Tips for writing a board position resignation letter
- Indicate the effective date: when resigning from a board position, it’s vital to indicate when the decision will take effect. For example, you can state that you’re leaving immediately or on a specific date.
- Embrace professionalism: Although most board positions are unpaid, you should consider this resignation as any other formal resignation and accord it the respect it deserves. Use a business letter format for your resonator letter. If you can send a letter, you can pass your resignation message in an email.
- Highlight your reasons for resigning: In your resignation letter, you should briefly highlight why you’re quitting. For example, you may be resigning due to a family emergency, sickness, lack of time, a new job, etc.
- Offer to assist if needed: As you resign from your current board position, you should state that you’re ready to help when required. If you had some unfinished tasks, you should assist in finishing up these projects.
- Thank the institution: use this opportunity to thank your colleagues and the institution for the chance to serve on the board. Embrace a positive tone in your letter.
- Proofread and edit your letter: you should take the time to proofread and edit your letter. Look out for grammar and spelling mistakes in the letter before submitting the resignation letter.
Sample board position resignation letter
344 Congress Ave
Greenland, GL 40400
October 15, 2019
Milka H. Markey, Ph.D.
Chairman, Board of Directors
Greenland, GL 03402
Re: Resignation from the Manifold Board of Directors
Dear Mr. Markey,
Please accept this letter as my formal resignation from the board of directors of Manifold Corporation, effective November 1, 20XX.
I decided to resign from the board of directors due to increased responsibilities in my new job as the CEO of Grasslands Group of Companies. In this regard, I will not have adequate time to serve on the board.
I’m grateful for the chance of serving as a member of the board of directors at Manifold Corporation for the past seven years. I wish the company and board the best in the future.
In case you may need more information or assistance of any nature, you can reach me via (213) 566 22443 or [email protected]
Board position resignation letter (Word format)
Board position resignation email example
Subject: Resignation – Mike Stephens
Dear Jack Martins,
I write this letter as a notice for my resignation as a board member as Joyland’s Group of Schools, effective December 1, 20XX. I must say I was delighted to be part of the able team that has led the institution for the last seven years. The commitment, zeal, passion, and leadership showed by you, and the rest of the board members are incredible.
It would have been my pleasure to remain part of this dedicated team, but my family will be relocating to Britain in the next two weeks; thus, my decision to resign from the board. I believe you will be able to find a suitable replacement for this position soon. If you need any assistance, I will be ready to help in the meantime.
Thank you for the opportunity to serve on the board. I have learned a lot and contributed positively to the advancement of this institution. I wish the board and the entire institution success.