Proof of residency letter also referred to as an affidavit of residence, is a sworn statement that a person lives at a specific address. Proof of residency is usually required when registering for schools, visa, and state or national programs. Proof of residency letter is often required by the Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) when applying for a driver’s license or applying for a street parking.
Proof Of Residency Letter Can Be Written By:
- An employer: an employer can write a proof of residence letter to verify that an individual has been working for a while in a specific area or State.
- Family Member: family members can also write a proof of residency letter to show that their child lives in their home
- Landlord: a landlord can write this letter to show that a person has been living on the premises presently and for a specified period.
What Documents Do Count as Proof of Address?
Various documents can be used to show proof of residency. However, the type of document to be used as proof of residence might vary depending on a company’s policy. Some of the documents that can be used to show proof of residency include:
- Bank statement
- Utility bills
- Lease agreement
- Health insurance card
- Voter registration card
- Mortgage statement
- Identity card
- House purchase deed
- Driving license
- Credit card statement
- Employer’s certificate for residence proof
- Letter from a recognized public authority or public servant
How to Check a Proof of Address Document
Every company that requires proof of address for their clients has to have a comprehensive guide detailing the process and requirements for them.
If the process is not automated, it can be quite a tiresome work if the documents are coming in- in large numbers. Nevertheless, there are a few necessary steps you can take to verify the documents to help do your work easier manually:
- Go through the document and check for watermarks, common patterns, and security features
- Check the date to make sure that the document is of valid issue date
- Check the name of the person listed in the document
- Check the address indicated in the document to make sure that it is valid
Various uses of proof of residency
Proof of residency letter can be used for various reasons including;
- Government Document Registration: when registering for most programs offered by the government, like visa applications, voter ID cards, passports, or other services, you may be required to present a proof of address.
- Utility Services: you may be required to present proof of residency when applying for vital services like electricity, gas, water connection, and telephone.
- Job Application: some employers will require that you provide proof of residency when applying for a position at their company.
- Bank Services: banks require that you provide proof of residency when opening a bank account or applying for a loan.
Proof of Residency Letter Template
To whom it may concern,
I XXX (name of the tenant) formally acknowledge living at the premises’ address of XXX town XXX city since XXX (day and month) 20XX (year).
I have attached the following documents for your considerations; (the documents may include Identification document, utility company bills, deed or titles or even mortgage statement)
I solemnly swear that the above-given information is true and accurate.
Sample Proof of Residency Letter
January 29, 2012
Dear superintendent Margaret Bomc:
This letter acts as proof that this is my place of residence therefore certify, that I Celine Boman, currently living at 290 Savannah road, Morgan estate, and that I have lived this estate for a decade now, since 3, February 1992.
I, Celine, ascertain that the above information given is true. I am aware that any wrong information is given; I will be held accountable and appropriate measures to be taken by the court of law.
Attached: mortgage statement for December 2011.
Sworn by the authorized personnel on 29, January 2012
- MS Word