When a company, business, or organization receives a resignation letter from any of its employees, it’s essential to acknowledge receipt of the letter and accept the resignation.
A resignation acceptance letter is a letter written by an employer to acknowledge receipt of a resignation letter and accept the resignation of an employee.
A resignation acceptance letter is part of a company’s records keeping and is used as a reference that the said employee requested for termination of employment for the reasons stated in the resignation letter and at a specified date. This way, the employee cannot claim that their resignation was never formally accepted. A resignation acceptance letter is a chance for the employer to show their support of the employee’s decision and communicate the company policy on termination of employment. In addition, it allows the employer to show appreciation for the time the employee was working for the employer.
Writing a Resignation Acceptance Letter
Having employees send resignation letters is common in the employment sector, and with them comes resignation acceptance letters. The information of a resignation acceptance letter will vary depending on the situation, but its components are often more or less the same. Below is a step-by-step guide on how to structure a resignation acceptance letter.
Employer and employee information and the date
The first item to be included in a resignation acceptance letter is the sender (employer) and the recipient (employee) of the letter. The letter must show to whom it is being sent. Write down the employer’s details; name, official mailing address and official contact information, followed by the date when the letter was created. Follow this up with the employee’s name, position/designation, and then official mailing addresses.
The salutation then follows the letter’s header. A formal salutation is used in a resignation acceptance letter. This involves addressing the recipient with their respective title, for example, “Dear Ms” or “Dear Mr.”, followed by the employee’s last name.
Acceptance of resignation
The following component of the resignation acceptance letter is the body of the letter. The first part of the body is used for stating the purpose of writing the letter, which is acknowledging receipt and acceptance of the resignation letter. Also, state the date when the resignation letter was received. One might also offer professional assistance such as a recommendation letter.
Then, include a statement that shows concern or understanding of the reasons that prompted the employee for resigning. The reason can be reaffirmed or referred to at this point. Showing understanding supports the employer’s decision to accept the resignation letter. Declare that the company is losing a valuable employee, and the company would wish to make the resignation process as smooth as possible.
Final date of employment
Next, declare the last official date of employment within the organization. Be specific as possible for vague dates can be confusing, and a resignation acceptance letter being an official document should aim to protect the employer and the company from being liable for compensating for days the employee was not part of the company staff.
Afterwards, include any other details that are pertinent to the resignation process. One can opt to include information such as steps the employee is expected to take before starting their employment, statement of company resignation policies, and benefits they are entitled or not entitled to anymore. For example;
- You shall be expected to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement before assuming office.
- Benefits: You shall be entitled to Medical Benefits as per the Labour laws in the respective state (Arizona).
Appreciation for efforts
Once the resignation process has been dealt with, express appreciation for the employee’s contribution to the company. Also, wish the employee the best of luck in their endeavors and career. One can also invite them to keep in touch even after the resignation. Contact information that the employee can use for any queries can also be included at this point.
The next item is the complimentary close of the resignation acceptance letter. A complimentary close is a formal way to end a letter. “Sincerely,” “Regards”, or “Best of wishes” are some of the options to choose from.
The last step is to sign the resignation acceptance letter. A signature is a must for a printed or handwritten acceptance letter. For acceptance letters sent via email, including one’s name would be enough.
Resignation Acceptance Letter Template
[Employee job position]
Dear [insert Employee Name]
This letter is to acknowledge receipt, and to confirm acceptance of your resignation request of [insert date], received [insert method that the resignation was received, e.g., in via email] from you. Your final day as an employee of [company name] will be [insert date]as requested.
It has been my privilege to work with you all these years. Take this letter as my way of wishing you the best of luck in this step of your career and life.
You are requested to submit the keys to the company vehicle to your supervisor [name] and hand in company credentials. Any payments and benefits due will be disbursed to your bank account 15 days after clearing with HR.
You can reach me through [contact information, e.g. phone number or email], should you have any further questions. Kindly feel free to contact me.
Resignation Acceptance Email Sample
Subject: Resignation Acceptance
This email is being sent in response to the resignation letter sent on 4th 03, 2021. Consider this an acceptance of your request to leave our organization. We are saddened to hear that you will be leaving us coming 24th 03, 2021. However, this does not take away the joy of seeing your progress career-wise.
Thank you for being a dedicated and self-driven member of Bixel Manufacturing Ltd. Your contribution to this company for the five years you have been with us does not go unnoticed.
As per our employment Policy Section 101A, you shall be entitled to a send-off package of $17000. However, health benefits will be considered null as of the mentioned date of termination of employment. You are requested to hand in any property belonging to the company and clear it with the HR manager. Monies shall be deposited to the account provided in the clearance form 10 days after clearing.
The company and I wish you the best and believe you will execute your responsibilities with success. For any queries and referrals, do not hesitate to contact me through [email protected]
Bixel Manufacturers Ltd.
Human Resource Manager
Brightway Supplies Ltd
5023 Mercyview Avenue
Angleton, CA 13324
September 11, 2019,
Dear Ms. Smith,
This letter is an acknowledgment that we have received your resignation letter dated September 1, 2019. I accept your resignation and note you’ll be relieved of your duties from Brightway Supplies Ltd on September 14, 20XX, which shall be your last working day.
Your resignation letter is in order, and we will proceed with your departure formalities. You are therefore invited for an exit interview on September 11, 2019, at 2.00 pm at the company’s board room.
We have forwarded a copy of this letter to the accounts department for processing of your salary and benefits. You will receive your check on the last day of work.
It has been our joy to have you as one of the employees; your zeal, determination, cheerfulness, passion, and commitment will be profoundly missed.
We all wish you the best in your new endeavor.
With best regards,
Subject: Resignation acceptance
Dear Mr. Elvis,
This email acknowledges the receipt of your resignation sent on November 15, 2019. We have reviewed your case, and I’m glad to inform you your resignation has been accepted.
Based on your email, your last day at work will be on December 1, 20XX. In this respect, you’re invited for an exit meeting on November XX, 2019, at 9.00 am at the HR manager’s office to discuss your departure formalities and any other relevant matter.
Finding a replacement for your position will be a challenging task, but we appreciate your working for us for the past six years — all the best in your following projects.
Here are free downloadable templates that can be customized as per need:
Professional Tips for Writing
It is imperative to respond appropriately to a resignation letter. The resignation acceptance letter is expected to be professionally and compassionately written to fulfill its purpose effectively. Important points to put into consideration when writing a resignation acceptance letter are discussed below.
- Use right formatting and structure – The accepted format is the business format. It is characterized by:
- The header is placed at the top left of the letter.
- Block format
- No indentation
- The one-inch margin on all the sides of the letter
- A legible font – commonly Times New Roman or Calibri
- A font size of between 10 and 12.
- The signature of the sender is placed at the bottom of the letter.
- Use professional language – Avoid using informal language or terminology that is hard to decipher or interpret. Remember, the letter might be reviewed by other people in the future or at a time when the writer is not present to explain what they meant by certain words or phrases.
- Keep it brief/short – A resignation acceptance should be kept short and to the point. The content of the letter must be concise but precisely written.
- Use proper subject line – The subject line for acceptance letters sent via email must clearly state the purpose of the letter. Vague subject lines can lead to the email being overlooked. An example of a good subject line is “Resignation Acceptance.”
- Provide non-work email – The employer can also include a non-work email that the employee can use to contact them in case they need to be recommended to other employers.
- Acknowledge the resignation – In the letter, it’s essential to accept the resignation of the employees and indicate their last day at work.
- Appreciate the employee – In the letter, the employer should indicate the regret of losing the employee, yet understand their circumstances. Besides, one should thank the employee for working for the company and wish them the best in their future careers. If possible, one should issue a recommendation letter to the employee.
- Proofread thoroughly – The acceptance letter should be error-free and demonstrate a high level of professionalism. Look out for grammatical errors and typos before sending the letter.
- Keep records – Once written, send the resignation acceptance letter to the employee and send a copy of the same to human resources for filing. HR can be added as CC if the letter is being sent via email.
Employees who apply for resignation require a written letter of resignation of acceptance as proof of their employment termination with a given employer. Employers are always urged to write resignation acceptance letters as proof that they received the resignation letter and accept the employee’s request. A standard resignation acceptance letter should entail the employer’s information, employee’s information, date of writing, salutation, acknowledgment of receipt and acceptance of the resignation letter, the effective date of resignation, appreciation, and closing.